Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Foreigners Must Reveal Their Trade Secrets If They Want To Co-exist Peacefully With Us- Minister Lindiwe Zulu

Lol! This is just hilarious! Earlier on, you were screaming, do not give jobs to foreigners, let South Africans go to school and lets employ them, now foreigners are opening small businesses and creating jobs and you now wonder why South Africans are not the ones creating the jobs, and you think foreigners should reveal their trade secrets? Please continue to read what Small Business Development Minister, Lindiwe Zulu said about the Soweto lootings.

"FOREIGN business owners in SA’s townships cannot expect to co-exist peacefully with local business owners unless they share their trade secrets, says Small Business Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu.

The government is assembling a task team to address violence and tension between local and foreign business owners.

Looting of foreign-owned businesses spread to Ekurhuleni on Monday. On Tuesday Ms Zulu called for stronger regulation of foreign business operations in townships to be fast-tracked.

In an interview on Monday she said foreign business owners had an advantage over South African business owners in townships. This was because local business owners had been marginalised and been offered poor education and a lack of opportunities under apartheid.

"Foreigners need to understand that they are here as a courtesy and our priority is to the people of this country first and foremost. A platform is needed for business owners to communicate and share ideas. They cannot barricade themselves in and not share their practices with local business owners," Ms Zulu said.

Criminality, looting and murder would never be condoned, she said, adding that these took attention away from the valid concerns about businesses which did not operate according to the law from local business owners, she said.

"There is a lot of criminality… there are serious issues being raised but others are hijacking those concerns," she said.

Muhammad Osman of the Somali Association of SA in the Western Cape said if the government intended to regulate foreign business then all businesses in township areas need to be regulated on a level playing field.

Research fellow at the SA Institute for International Affairs Peter Draper said Ms Zulu’s remarks, underscored government’s mistrust of foreign investors which was also reflected in business regulations. "If you connect this to the broader picture, essentially this is part of a thrust to single out foreign business, which is contrary to the political message President Jacob Zuma went to portray in Davos. We are at a tipping point and we are going beyond it. You can only push foreign business so far before they disengage," he said.

Mr Draper agreed with Ms Zulu’s remarks on the effect of apartheid on local business owners in townships but said foreign business owners had to confront their own challenges with little state support.

"Apartheid did disadvantage black people and over generations it inhibited social capital. Many foreigners have trading entrenched in their blood. Wherever they go they bring social capital, networks and extended family. Is that unfair? I don’t think so. That’s life," he said.

Ms Zulu’s comments show the about-turn in the African National Congress’ (ANC’s) ideology of Pan Africanism and in line with remarks by party leaders.

After a week of looting in Soweto last week, ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe told residents in Doornkop that immigration laws needed to be strengthened to protect the country from terror.

Plus Size Model, Tess Holliday, Redefines Beauty Standards

 Usually models who are signed by agencies as ‘plus-size’ are between sizes 10 – 16 – not really plus-size at all by regular standards, something which agencies have been heavily criticised for.

Milk Model Management has made a hugely positive step forward in this regard by signing plus-size model Tess Holliday, who at size 22, is the first model of her size to be signed by a major modelling agency. Tess was scouted by Milk when they spotted her on Instagram, and since then she has launched a campaign to challenge beauty standards called #EffYourBeautyStandards.

Holliday told The Huffington Post, ‘I created the hashtag [#EffYourBeautyStandards] because I was tired of being told what I could and couldn’t wear by the media and how I should cover my body because of my size. I decided ‘eff that,’ I will wear what I want!’
Holliday was motivated to create the campaign as she was bullied about her size a lot when she was younger and says that she still receives hundreds of negative comments everyday. ‘I understand not everyone understands what I’m about,’ she said. ‘But to me it’s such a simple concept. It’s all about loving your body regardless of your size and chasing your dreams.’

She’s now created a separate Instagram account called EffYourBeautyStandards, that now has almost 77 ooo followers, where she reposts images by other plus-size women and aspiring models as well as cute motivationals.

We love Tess’s campaign, and we love her awesome vintage pin-up girl style even more. See more pictures after the cut:



EFCC: The Judiciary Is Holding Us Back

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), yesterday stated that the greatest challenge the commission is facing is the delay in the trial of cases. The EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren said that although the federal government had been funding the body, there was need for better funding to enable it carry out its responsibilities. Wilson stated this yesterday in Enugu yesterday, while speaking to reporters. He said the agency recorded 126 convictions in 2014, adding that some governors, ministers and public officials were currently under investigation. “The biggest challenge as far as we are concerned is the courts. That is the number one challenge that the commission faces; where you are bogged down with delays in court; you cannot make progress. “As I speak to you, there are cases that we took to court in 2007, and they are still dragging on in the court.

And defence counsels are always eager to file frivolous applications just to delay matters. Most of them (defendants) have the resources and the best senior advocates in the country to cause such problem,” he said. “We have a good number of highly exposed persons, including ministers, governors and top ranking officials of government under investigation by the commission. Naming names at this stage will jeopardize investigation, so we are not going to mention names. All I will tell you is that a number of them are under investigation and once we conclude that, you will get to know the identities of those involved.

Kylie Jenner Set To Launch A Fashion Line

Kim Kardashian may be sitting front row at fashion week, but it's her younger half sisters who are proving to be the most influential in the fashion world.
While Kendall Jenner, 18, has been strutting down the runway next to Naomi Campbell this year, it's actually 17-year-old Kylie Jenner who holds the most influence over young fans' fashion choices.

Kylie Jenner, who is a fashion trendsetter has collaborated with her sister Kendall Jenner on several big projects, but she wants to continue to branch out on her own. Kylie is definitely the Kardashian to watch right now. She’s constantly upping her game with stylish outfit choices and even her own line of colorful hair extensions. “Kylie’s fashion sense is impeccable,” an insider reveals. “She will get into high fashion stuff … but something a lot of people don’t really know, she’s an amazing jewelry designer. She really is brilliant. Everybody thought Kendall was going to be the up and coming one but really it’s Kylie. I wouldn’t be surprised if she came out with her own jewelry line.” the insider also revealed. “She had a fashion blog, she has the kind of power that if she likes something or doesn’t, she knows what girls want to see. She is becoming her own.

Tuesday, 27 January 2015

All Shops Owned By Foreigners Should Stay Closed For Now -SA Government

Johannesburg - The safety of foreign shop owners in Soweto is not guaranteed as fundamental issues have not yet been addressed, Soweto Business Access (SBA) said on Tuesday.

"They should not open their businesses yet as the core issues raised by local residents have not been resolved," chairperson Mphuthi Mphuthi said in a statement.

He said problems commonly heard about entrepreneurs from Somalia, Pakistan and Bangladesh included not employing locals, not ploughing money back into the township economy, being rude, and not paying taxes.

"It is for this reason that we at Soweto Business Access call on all South Africans who have suggestions and solutions to come forward," Mphuthi said.

"We believe that we must first listen to South Africans. Let South Africans come up with solutions on things like how jobs can and will be created from local small businesses."

The SBA, an umbrella body of professionals that help small enterprises in Soweto, said it hoped that in talks with influential business bodies, business-friendly solutions could be found for "this economic problem".

"Thereafter, we can engage the foreign nationals. But it is the interests of South Africans which must be prioritised," Mphuthi said.

"If they come back, their safety is not guaranteed as these fundamental issues would still be outstanding. We want Soweto to set the benchmark that will improve businesses in other townships."

Week-long unrest, looting

A week of unrest and looting of foreign-owned shops began in Soweto last Monday, when a foreign shop owner shot dead 14-year-old Siphiwe Mahori. He was apparently part of a group trying to break into his shop.

The looting then spread to other parts of Gauteng, including Diepsloot in the north of Johannesburg, and Kagiso on the West Rand.

On Sunday, in an open letter to President Jacob Zuma, the African Diaspora Forum (ADF) said government continued to deny xenophobia in South Africa.

"Despite the escalation of violence over the past six years causing numerous deaths, the government has denied that there is xenophobia... always questioning the nature of this violence and attributing it to ‘crime', instead of recognising it for what it is, xenophobic violence," ADF chairperson Marc Gbaffou wrote.

"This attitude, from our perspective, has condoned the violence and allowed it to reach institutional heights, making things even more difficult for foreign nationals living in South Africa, but also for South Africans wishing for social peace and integration."

The letter, dated 24 January, was also addressed to Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba and Police Minister Nkosinathi Nhleko.

At least seven people, including a 1-month-old baby boy, have died in Gauteng since violence broke out between locals and foreign nationals last Monday.

-News24

US Prosecutes Russian Spies Trying To Recruit US Citizens

Three Russian citizens were charged on Monday in connection with a Cold War-style Russian spy ring that spoke in code, passed messages concealed in bags and magazines, and tried to recruit people with ties to an unnamed New York City university, authorities said.

The defendants were directed by Russian authorities to gather sensitive economic intelligence on potential US sanctions against Russian banks and efforts here to develop alternative energy resources, according to a complaint filed in federal court in Manhattan.

Prosecutors say one defendant, Yevgeny Buryakov, posed as an employee in the Manhattan branch of a Russian bank. He was arrested on Monday in the Bronx, where he lived with his Russian wife and two children.

At an initial court appearance, Assistant US Attorney Adam Fee portrayed Buryakov as a professional spy skilled at duplicity.

"His life here, your honor, really is a deception," the prosecutor said.

Low-level diplomatic positions

Buryakov, 39, arrived in the United States in 2010 and had a work visa. His lawyer, Sabrina Shroff, lost an argument for bail after a magistrate judge agreed with the government that he had an incentive to flee since his cover was blown.

The two others named in the complaint, Igor Sporyshev and Victor Podobnyy — described as Buryakov's handler — held low-level diplomatic positions. They were protected from prosecution because of their diplomatic status and are believed to have returned to Russia.

Between March 2012 through as recently as mid-September 2014, the FBI observed Buryakov and Sporyshev meeting 48 times in outdoor settings, the complaint says. Several of the meetings "involved Buryakov passing a bag, magazine or slip of paper to Sporyshev", it says.

In intercepted telephone calls made to set up the meetings, the pair spoke about sharing tickets to movies or sporting events, or needing to deliver items like books or hats but were never observed doing that, the complaint says.

They also "discussed their attempts to recruit US residents, including several individuals employed by major companies, and several young women with ties to a major university located in New York City", it says.

Fake names

The investigation recalled a 2010 case resulting in the arrest of 10 covert agents who infiltrated suburban America using fake names. All 10 pleaded guilty in federal court in Manhattan to conspiracy charges and were ordered out of the country as part of a spy swap for four people convicted of betraying Moscow to the West.

The case was announced Monday by US Attorney General Eric Holder, US Attorney Preet Bharara and FBI officials.

The Russian Foreign Ministry and the Foreign Intelligence Service could not immediately be reached for comment on the case. Alexey Zaytsev, spokesperson for Russia's UN Mission, said: "We don't have any comment now."

The new case demonstrates "our firm commitment to combating attempts by covert agents to illegally gather intelligence and recruit spies within the United States", Holder said in a statement.

Bharara added that the charges "make it clear that — more than two decades after the presumptive end of the Cold War — Russian spies continue to seek to operate in our midst".

News24

Ireland Set To Legalise Same Sex Marriage

Ireland is set to vote on a referendum to allow same sex marriages, with the vast majority in favour of allowing the once controversial move to be passed into law in the conservative country.

It looks as if Ireland is ready to ditch its last remnants of anti-gay prejudice with the country's first government minister coming out as gay and polls showing 76% support for a May referendum to amend the constitution to allow same-sex marriages.

Health Minister Leo Varadkar's announcement that he was gay on 18 January came hot on the heels of an opinion poll showing that 81% of women and 72% of men supported marriage for same-sex couples in the predominantly Catholic country.

The poll commissioned by national broadcaster RTE for the Radio 1 Today programme was evidence of "the enormous repository of goodwill amongst voters in Ireland towards full equality for same sex couples," according to Director of the Irish Council of Civil Liberties Mark Kelly.

The minister for health has felt that goodwill with people being "nice and supportive" in response to his announcement. Although the most senior of political figures to have come out, Varadkhar joins governing Fine Gael member of parliament Jerry Buttimer who made public his sexuality in 2012.

Labour Members of Parliament John Lyons and Dominic Hannigan were openly gay before becoming members of the Irish parliament, the Dail.

Even more indicative of the cultural change in climate is the coming out of Gaelic Athletic Association star, Donal Og Cusack, who made his name in the national game of hurling, perceived as very much a he-man sport.

"Coming out in Ireland is still a significant, political act because of our cultural background and heritage," says Grainne Healy, Chairwoman of Marriage Equality, an organisation campaigning for marriage parity for same sex couples in Ireland.

"It is significant especially for young people to see the minister coming out and to know that they are living in a country where we can expect to be treated equally."

"For rights groups, the hope is that eventually it will be unremarkable that a minister is gay."